Electrical malfunctions are the significant causes of house fires every year, so the question is, can you prevent them?
Outdated and old wires are the primary reasons behind firehouses and people dying from electric shocks. And to be honest, most of the time, it happens due to sheer carelessness.
If you are here reading this guide, the chances are that you are a conscious homeowner who is trying to ensure that your house is safe. As we always suggest, keep a check on your main power outlet from time to time, but sometimes, you have to do more than just that.
This guide will take you through the six most common signs of wiring malfunctions that you should look out for. Without any more delay, let’s dive right in!
Warning Signs To Look Out For
1. Look Out For Unusual Noises
You would not hear a properly functioning light or power outlet making noise. So, in case you do, there must be something wrong with the wiring, which needs to be fixed. You will often hear a noise when the wiring is outdated and needs to be redone.
If you hear a crackling or sizzling sound, something is seriously wrong, and you should immediately switch off any device connected to the power source. Unless you do that, there’s a good chance that your device will get damaged.
Also, even if it is a light buzzing noise, it is best to call an electrician immediately and resolve the issue.
2. Frequent Trips Of The Circuit Breaker
As you must already know, the circuit breaker in your house is designed so that every time there is a power overload, it turns the entire circuit off. It is meant to keep your appliances safe by preventing excess power from flowing through them. So, if you see that the circuit breaker is tripping more often than usual, then there might be a problem.
To give you a rough estimate, call a professional to resolve the issue if you have to fix the circuit board more than once a month.
3. When The Lights Start To Flicker
Do not think that there is something supernatural about it every time the light flickers in your house. It might simply mean that the wiring is malfunctioning!
Light fittings flickering is mostly the sign of wiring gone bad, and if you do not fix it soon, the chances are that it will damage the light fitting. In that case, you have to get the wiring fixed anyway and replace the light.
4. Locate The Burning Smell
Mostly, people are very cautious in the kitchen, and if they pick up a foul smell, they try to fix the problem, fearing that there might be a gas leak. But we suggest that you maintain this policy everywhere around the house as a homeowner.
Turn it off immediately if you sense a metallic or distinctly acrid smell around any electronic device. Sometimes, you may even smell something smoky from the built-in appliances.
Remember that a burning smell is not a good sign and should not be ignored. It is a sign of a device getting slowly damaged because of wiring problems, and if left unresolved, it might ultimately damage the appliances.
5. Electric Shocks
This is one of the worst signs to experience when you have faulty wiring. You might experience a minor electrical shock when you touch a light switch.
If that happens, immediately turn the device off and plug it out of the power source. Ensure that you do not use the power source until an electrician fixes the problem.
But when it is severe and you end up experiencing more than a minor shock, you must immediately seek medical help. Also, if you see someone electrocuted, never try to touch them as that might put you in danger too. Instead, turn off the power circuit of the house and seek help immediately.
6. When You See Visible Damages
There are times when you do not have to guess that there is something wrong with the wiring!
For most electronic devices, the parts around the wire are plastic. And when there is an excess flow of power, these parts start heating up. The result? You will observe burn marks around the power sources.
The plastic is the first to melt, and that is a sign for you to understand that it is time you fix the wiring. If you encounter a situation like this, closely inspect the wires after you have turned off the power source.
This is an easy to spot warning sign as it is right in your eye line. We suggest that you not use DIY skills as you need a trained electrician to fix the problem. So, only do it yourself if you have the right expertise.
Keeping An Eye Out For Faulty Wiring
That’s all from our side!
We hope that you had a great time going through this guide, and in case you are ever in a pickle like this, you know what needs to be done. The signs we have mentioned in this guide are the biggest giveaways that something is wrong with the wiring in your house.
It is always better to be safe than sorry in situations like this. When you notice any signs, immediately stop whatever you are doing and book an appointment with an electrician.
If left unattended, wiring problems can be deadly. But if you are on the lookout for these signs, we assure you that the problem is quickly solvable.
Keep a watch on this space for more exciting reads. Until next time, bye!