An electrical emergency can lead to disastrous results if not attended to in time. So, identifying the initial signs of danger is necessary.
People have different opinions when you ask them what an electrical emergency means to them. For some, it may be very serious conditions where electrical fires are caused by faulty wiring or outdated faulty appliances.
Others might consider a power failure to be an emergency. Whatever your definition is, know that you should never take this matter lightly and calling an emergency electrician is of utmost importance.
Moving on, in this read, we will tell you about what can be classified as electrical emergencies. This should enable you to identify the dangers and ask for help in emergency situations.
So, read on!
How Do I Know When It’s An Emergency?
Some people tend to not pay attention to a minor electric shock or a faulty light. They will wait until there is a serious problem before solving it. This can be dangerous, and you might be risking your own life as well as others at home.
Hence, please do not wait for an electrical fire to start or for the electrical system to stop working. Instead, act when you see the initial signs of electrical issues or failure to ensure that nobody is hurt. Fixing the issue quickly also prevents further damage.
1. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
One of the most significant troubles that one can come across with a malfunctioning electric line is carbon monoxide poisoning. As you may already know, carbon monoxide is extremely harmful to humans, and it has the potential to kill. Plus, you cannot really see it as it is silent and invisible.
Some of the first signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are difficulty in breathing, headaches, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea and vomiting. You may begin to feel weaker than usual, which is a sign for you to check the carbon monoxide level.
Also, please install a carbon monoxide detector in the house to ensure that you live a long life. While some think this is unnecessary, it can save the entire family from facing medical emergencies.
You should also know that these detectors work with the help of batteries, which need to be replaced over time. Hence, always check and do the needful after certain periods to ensure a smooth experience.
2. Burning Smell
Another important thing to watch out for is a burning smell coming from the electric lines, wall outlets, plug points or electrical appliances. If you come across a weird odour, please do not ignore it.
Now, in case you purchase new gadgets, and there is a strange smell coming for the first few times you use it, that is fine. But if you notice that there is a smell coming from the outlet, then immediately switch it off. Unplug all the devices and ensure that you let everybody in the house knows about the burnt outlet.
And do not let anybody charge their phones or laptops before making that call. Leave the electric lines alone and only operate after a professional electrician has come and checked them for you.
If you get a burning smell from the breaker panel, immediately reach out to an electrician. It might be a minor fault, but there is no need to take the risk and put your family and yourself in danger. An experienced electrician will identify the problem and get the electrical system fixed in no time.
3. Power Cuts
If there is a power cut in your house, but you can see the lights switched on in the neighbouring properties, then there must be something wrong with the system. This can happen if the wiring in your home is very old and has not been changed for a long time.
That can lead to the entire system failing as the older electric lines may not handle the huge amount of power flow. Also, the old power lines will not be equipped to handle the huge number of gadgets that we use today. So, it is best to call an electrician and get the lines and wiring replaced. It is important to remember never to approach a fallen power line in power outages, as they can be extremely dangerous.
4. Heated Service Panel
Always remember that heavy current constantly flows through the electric lines of the house, and the wires have to be well-equipped to handle that. Service panels are not supposed to heat up, but if that happens, then you need to switch off the current flow immediately.
Next, keep in mind that electric wires are running through the house, and they need to be strong and in perfect condition. Call for electrical services if you notice the wires fraying, browning, or warming up easily. There are times when the wires may heat up, and the lights may turn dim. This is an indication that there is something wrong with the line. Also, ensure your circuit breaker and safety switch are functioning correctly, or you can ask the emergency services to do this for you.
Knowing When To Call An Emergency Electrician
If you notice any sparking, switch off the electric line and leave the house. Also, it is best to open up all the doors and windows so that any carbon monoxide gas that may have been released can flow out.
After the electric line has been switched off, leaving the premises and waiting outside is the best thing to do if you want to be on the safe side. And don’t forget to contact the certified, trained and professional emergency electricians at Bright Force Electrical.
Tell them about the problem you are facing so that the electrician who is sent can bring all the equipment needed to tackle the problem at hand. Once that is done, rest assured that you’ll be in safe hands.
We will now sign off with a final word of advice — even the most minor electrical issue can be hazardous. Maintaining electrical safety standards at your home and business is vital. So, never hesitate to seek professional assistance. Our local electricians are available across Sydney to assist you 24/7 in times of an emergency, so please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.