Electricity is necessary for all, yet most of us don’t know how to respond to a spark or a short circuit leading to an electrical emergency!
If you’re regularly maintaining your electrical appliances and systems, there’s very little chance of an electrical emergency. But anything like an overloaded circuit leading to electrical shocks or low-scale fires might put you and your family at risk. Hence, everyone needs to know what to do in such events.
So, we’ve discussed some standard procedures for emergency situations to help you understand and develop a plan for responding during a crisis.
Reason Behind Electrical Shocks
Before we get into a detailed discussion regarding the steps and procedures for responding to commercial electrical emergencies, let’s discuss some of the reasons behind electric shocks. These include:
1. Damaged Chords
Faulty or damaged cords in your homes, like extension cords or others, should not be kept at your property under any circumstances. You must discard them immediately and replace them with a new one.
Any faulty or damaged wiring in your electrical appliances increases the risks of electrical shocks and fires. So, call upon a professional agency for repairing or replacing them without any delay.
3. Faulty Wiring
It is the primary reason behind most of the electrical emergencies in Australia. If you believe there may be faulty wiring in your commercial building, call our professionals immediately.
Always keep water far away from your electrical appliances to prevent the risk of shocks or short circuits.
You should always keep updated fire extinguishers and an emergency contact list of professional agencies. You can obtain it from any government website or agency in Australia.
1. Fire Extinguishers
Updated fire extinguishers are a must for businesses, offices, and other commercial spaces. Similarly, factories and industrial sites should always stay prepared with adequate fire extinguishers depending on the size of the area.
2. Emergency Contact Numbers
Prepare a list of numbers you can contact in electrical emergencies and keep it displayed in a visible area like the fridge or kitchen counter.
These situations can be terrifying, so you shouldn’t panic but remain as calm and composed as possible. And always contact emergency services at the earliest.
Likewise, if a person has been injured by an electrical shock or subsequent fire, they might receive burns on the body, be unable to breathe correctly and be unconscious with a weak pulse. And here’s what you can do in such a situation:
Step 1: Don’t Touch The Person
Given that your friends, colleagues, or a family member have received an electrical shock, you’ll be intuited towards helping them by providing them first aid. But first, stop and think. Since the human body is an excellent electrical conductor, the charge residing within their body might just get passed onto you. Hence, you must be careful as electricity can be extremely fatal.
Also, make sure that there is no water spilled on the site. Water is an excellent conductor that can pass electricity through it. So, unless and until the main power is turned off, don’t move around. But if you have to, be careful to stay away from any open wires or water spills.
Step 2: Call Emergency Services
Ideally, steps 2 and 3 require a third person to stay with the person who has been electrocuted. But if you don’t have additional help, call the emergency services as soon as possible.
Most victims of electric shock require immediate medical attention, so make sure to educate the crew about the incident. This will help them to come equipped with all the necessary aid and equipment.
Step 3: Turn Off Power
Before you try to do anything, make sure to turn off the main power. It makes the site safe for moving around until the emergency crew arrives and prevents further damage.
If you’re unable to turn off the power safely (especially if the victim is stuck to the gridline), try to remove him using a broomstick or any other non-conductive items.
Step 4: Administer First Aid
Once the victim is brought to a safe space, it’s safe to approach them and administer proper first aid. Injuries from electric shocks can lead to burns, cardiac arrests and even death, so administer the first aid accordingly.
For example, treat the burns with cold water and then cover them with dressings (if the individual is conscious and responding). And in case they are not breathing, perform CPR until a team of professionals arrive on site.
Correct Response Checklist For Commercial Electrical Emergencies
Several Australians are killed or severely injured every year on job sites or homes by getting electrocuted. Not only does it affect the victims and their families, but it also places severe consequences on the business itself.
In this regard, various safety training courses are running in the country, which engages people in real-life simulations and trains them to deal with such situations effectively. So, consider enrolling yourself into one today.
If you require an emergency electrician in Sydney at any time, please contact the team at Bright Force Electrical. We offer a fast 24/7 urgent response unit for any commercial and residential electrical emergencies.
And that has brought us to the end of this guide. We will see you another day.
Till then, take care and bye!